Healthy Communities, Healthy Lives
Creating a Healthy Community takes each and every one of us.
Obesity and poor health are serious problems that need a dedicated, multifaceted approach to change the environment and improve the lives of Los Angeles residents. Obesity can lead to serious medical problems, and the rising rates of obesity are a complex problem that need to be tackled.
CHOOSE HEALTH LA campaign:
AltaMed and the LA County Dept. of Public Health have joined forces with 211 LA County and longstanding partners YMCA, Superior Grocers and community restaurants to increase:
- availability of healthy foods through grocers and restaurants
- accessibility of healthy community events and opportunities for physical activity
- referrals for community based resources to reduce and prevent chronic diseases
LA County Dept of Public Health's Choose Health LA campaign is about communities working together to make LA County a healthier and more satisfying place to live, work, learn and play. Use this page to find useful tips, resources, and activities to lead a healthy life in your community.
- The harm of high salt intake. The DPH is also partnering with the National Salt Reduction Initiative to "to dramatically reduce the amount of sodium in many of the packaged food brands and products we eat and the restaurants where we dine."
- The health dangers of sugary drinks, including a sugar calculator and strategies to keep sugary drinks out of kids' diets
- Promoting safety in the community with Healthy Places, a variety of initiatives to ensure "the streets, sidewalks and parks are safe, open and welcoming"
- The Parks After Dark program, which "revitalizes parks in neighborhoods with high crime rates and economic hardship into vibrant community centers"
FACT: in South East Los Angeles, 26% of children in fifth to ninth grade are obese.
Choose Health LA Restaurants
As part of the Healthy Communities, Healthy Lives campaign, AltaMed and LA County Dept of Public Health is partnering with over 700 local restaurants to provide healthier options for dining out. Through this partnership, Choose Health LA Restaurants promotes local businesses while also assisting residents in finding healthier restaurants.
Learn more about Choose Health LA Restaurants.
Healthy Communities, Healthy Lives Tools
In addition, AltaMed provides information, tips, and recipes for people to try at home and share with their families:
Explore Healthy Communities, Healthy Lives partner websites:
211 LA County
County of Los Angeles Department of Public Health
Los Angeles Unified School District
Los Nietos School District
Montebello Unified School District
Public Health Institute
Volunteers of East Los Angeles
Finding treatment and support for your health can seem overwhelming, but 211 can help! Search the Healthy Living community resources guide and community calendar to find support near you.